Full-time Legal Virtual Assistant for Civil Rights Attorney in California
Dear Virtual Latinos,
We’re looking to hire 1 VA in the next 7 days through this job that the Virtual Latinos Agency is publishing on behalf of a new client.
Client & Short Job Description:
The client is a civil rights attorney who fights for men, women, and children who have been sexually assaulted and harassed. They also do catastrophic injury and wrongful death. The company is made up of 3 attorneys and staff all in California, the VA will work with all the attorneys. The company has been doing these services for 20 years. The team also has a VA in the Philippines.
The client is looking for a VA with tough skin & problem-solving skills. See more “Ideal Requirements” below.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: You must apply by Sunday, October 18th, at 11:30 PM PT. Our team will set up interviews for the selected candidates for Tuesday, October 20th, 2020.
Tasks required for the job
1. Client Communication, Support & Follow-ups
– Answer simple questions if a client calls and asks for an update about a case, court dates, etc.
– If the client asks a law-related question, take a message and/or forward the question to the right paralegal or attorney
– Follow up with clients to make sure the law firm has all the necessary documents, info, and details they need to build their case and submit it to court
– When clients need to make payments, the VA would need to make sure clients pay their bills
– Write monthly letters to clients with a general update on their case
– Take credit card payments over the phone
2. General Admin Tasks
– Help with filing mail that was received in paper and scanned. The mail has to be filed into the correct digital client folder. May involve using Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
– Help with email-related items.
– Help the law firm develop, create, and document the company’s SOPs (standard operating procedures)
– Write short articles about clients’ stories/cases or legal related topics
– Prepare office reports
– Keep the referrals and partners up-to-date to what happened to clients referred by them
– Improve and organize the documents library, which includes a variety of legal documents, questionnaires, templates, etc.
– Manage online documents, including editing/labeling documents correctly as needed, and/or changing document names
3. Calendar Management & Appointment Setting
– Help the law firm’s staff and/or CEO manage his calendar appropriately
– Schedule appointments with clients, and/or clients with other staff using the calendar, as necessary
– Save the appointments into Google Calendar, or any other calendar management system
4. Gathering Clients Info & Obtaining Documents
– Gather information from customers over the phone and email
– Get all their basic info such as their name, family’s name, relatives’ names, etc.
– Gather info about their customer’s last 5 years of places they lived, and where they worked.
– Enter all the information into the proper case management system or CRM
– Some clients upload the documents on the web-based platform, but most are not tech-savvy, so the VA would need to help with gathering documents in any way possible (Email, text, WhatsApp, etc).
– Spending time with the clients on the phone, making sure they’re the correct docs, etc
– Cataloging and organizing docs on Dropbox.com
5. Review & Check Client Information
– Review all documents and info submitted by clients through the online form they initially complete
– Make sure that clients provide an electronic signature, in order to hire the law firm for their services
– Connect with the clients over the phone, email, and/or Zoom (video call) to review information
– Gather and review various documents, and organize them as needed for each client’s case
– Once the intake of each client’s story is done, write one-page summaries of the client’s case
6. Prepare Case Indexes
– Prepare case indexes with all the reports, statements, and affidavit
– Help legal assistants to put client’s case and all documents together
– The client only takes big cases, not a volume of cases, so they don’t currently use a case management software
– They use Outlook, Dropbox, and other tools
7. Fill Out Forms & Questionnaires
– Fill out multiple forms and put them together in a folder
– Prepare the PDF forms pre-filled with the client’s information, after gathering the info and facts.
– Attach and create the exhibits for each client, ensuring that all items are there
– Send forms and exhibits to the lawyer for a final review
8. Medical Treatment Assignment
– Help clients book appointment with a doctor or correct medical provider
– Work with existing doctors, hospitals, and providers and/or search for new ones as needed
– Find out the medical cost for the client, in order to find out what the “damages” are, which will be part of the case
– This tasks is actually about creating an online Excel/Word document, with a list of all the doctor appointments that the clients’ book
– The clients usually book the doctor appointments themselves, but the lawyer needs to track all the doctor visits in order to build a case and have authorizations.
BONUS Tasks (Not Required, but ideal – Please include these tasks ONLY if you have experience)
Only great and ideal if the VA has also experienced in the following, but NOT required.
9. Data Entry
– Convert files into digital format in Excel sheets
– Help the company organize, clean, update, and maintain the client’s database
– Maintain all of the communications and client data up-to-date
– Add new clients & update existing ones into the CRM system
– Process and handle customer support orders and/or tickets
– Repetitive data entry (entering online payments or uploading invoices received from vendors)
– Create and publish jobs, events, listings, etc in 3rd party sites: Facebook, Craigslist, etc
– Create quotes/invoices to send to the company’s leads & clients
Send invoices/bills via email to each client
– Follow-up & receive payments
– Create & send receipts to clients who have completed payments
– Categorize expenses from bank accounts and/or credit cards
– Other basic bookkeeping tasks – Does not include professional bookkeeping or software expertise
11. Social Media Management
– Help with Social Media content organization, scheduling & management
– Publish posts on different social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, etc)
– Basic content writing and also create simple graphics
– Create a social media calendar to post X times a week
– Monitor & respond to messages/inbox on any social media channel
(New) Personality Test:
If you haven’t, take this 7-8 minutes test and add your personalized link to your proposal. You just need to take it once and use the same link for all future proposals: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
NOTE: Please send your unique personalized URL/link, after finishing the test click on “Send my results by email”
WRONG LINK TO SAVE: Generic personality link https://www.16personalities.com/estj-personality
CORRECT LINK TO SAVE (Sent by email): Your unique results link
– The VA must be able to deal with difficult topics (People who are survivors of abuse, harassment, trauma, etc – Including Children).
– Willing to be trained on how to speak to clients with TRAUMA
– Must have “thick skin” and be OK with talking about hard subject matters/topics/stories, etc. This may include topics that are Taboo.
– STRESS is high at this job, so must be ok handling stress.
– The client is OK WITH HIRING VAs who are lawyers – Not required
– Ideally, must be a VA who is interested in civil rights, defending people, and a great opportunity for someone who wants to support this cause
– Great problem solvers.
– Resourceful, and curious
– The VA must know how to propose solutions to problems and be SUPER helpful. The VA they like must be proactive, and know-how/when to ASK questions to the company when they’re in doubt.
– They want a VA who is hungry to learn, grow, but ALSO humble and willing to be “part of the team”
– Must be a quick learner
– Someone who is not afraid to ASK questions, be sure to know how to do the work, be confident, and know when to STOP work. Otherwise, the VA will do the wrong work and may end up being fired.
– The VA should be resourceful to be able to find where to find the answers, and/or approach other team members, but if needed, they must NOT be afraid to ask questions.
– Must be able to have the great judgment of situations, to decide how/when to act accordingly.
-Schedule: 8 hours/day, from 8:30 am to 5 pm (with 30-min break) Pacific Time
-Hours: 40 hours/week
– Pay: $5-7/hr Full-Time. Rates are depending on your experience, determined by Virtual Latinos.
Interested in applying for the job? READ THIS CAREFULLY:
Please apply through this Virtual Latinos platform, and include:
1) 1-2 short paragraphs introducing yourself, where you’re from, what you studied, and general work experience, and explaining why you believe you meet the requirements of attitude and skills?
2) Provide us with specific details of your past experience and skills related to each of the tasks categories mentioned above. The format of this section should look like this:
Main Job Tasks Experience:
1. First task category name from above goes here
– I have worked with contacting leads/people for X amt of years, at X company. Here’s an example of how I worked, my process, and the results of it:
– Additionally, I’ve also done Y type of works, with Y company.
– Additional details
– Additional examples
2. Second task category name from above goes here
– I do/don’t have any experience with follow-up up with leads, for X amount of years while working with X company
– The types of tasks I’ve done while using X system for managing leads and potential clients include: Give examples
– Additional details
– Additional examples
3. Third task category…..
IMPORTANT NOTE: 40-50% of applicants do NOT read the instructions and send very poor proposals. If your proposal is one of those it WILL BE IGNORED.